Now that it's official, let the speculation begin.
The BMW M8 has made its very first appearance. Of course, this raises more questions than anything else. Details are, predictably, limited but that doesn't mean we can't start trying to draw some conclusions.
From the 30,000-foot perspective, this is what we know:
- The 8-Series will be the company's flagship product and likely to share some components with the 7-Series a la the Mercedes-Benz S-Class and S-Class Coupe
- As with any M variant, there will be an expectation for the M car to boast a nice boost in power from the standard vehicle
- BMW is definitely taking this M8 racing in form of the M8 GTE — this doesn't mean the motor will carry over necessarily, but it may be a determinant in what type of engine BMW shoehorns in there
So, it's time to place your bets. To me this really boils down to three choices. I think it will come down to one of the following:
- Forced induction I6 producing 600+ horsepower a la the Ford GT as M is taking it racing
- V8 — BMW will likely carry over the turbocharged, eight-cylinder from the 7-Series for use in the standard 8
- V12 — We've seen what BMW is capable of with the M760i, I'd only imagine the company upping the ante with the M8
That said, what do you think it'll be, Spies?
Source : http://autospies.com/news/The-60-000-Question-What-Type-Of-Motor-Will-BMW-Use-In-The-M8-I6-V8-V12-93038/